From Redcore Linux Project WikiJump to navigationJump to search
==VLC media player ==
- is a free and open-source, portable, cross-platform media player software and streaming media server developed by the VideoLAN project.
- is available for desktop operating systems and mobile platforms, such as Android, iOS, iPadOS, Windows 10 Mobile, and Windows Phone.
- is also available on digital distribution platforms such as Apple's App Store, Google Play, and Microsoft Store.
- supports many audio and video compression methods and file formats, including DVD-Video, video CD and streaming protocols.
- it is able to stream media over computer networks and can transcode multimedia files.
- includes many free decoding and encoding libraries, avoiding the need for finding/calibrating proprietary plugins.
- the libavcodec library from the FFmpeg project provides many of VLC's codecs, but the player mainly uses its own muxers and demuxers.
- it also has its own protocol implementations.
- it also gained distinction as the first player to support playback of encrypted DVDs on Linux and macOS by using the libdvdcss DVD decryption library; however, this library is legally controversial and is not included in many software repositories of Linux distributions as a result.
for more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLC_media_player
<gallery mode="slideshow" showthumbnails>
Revision as of 22:44, 31 July 2021